tirsdag 25. august 2015

The worlds best camera, they tell me...

Bruce Robbins at the Online Darkroom seem to have made up his mind about what's the world greatest camera these days, or any other day as well for that matter. I got the same kind of box myself as well (even though I got the probably a tiny notch worse E model), and just have to throw in my few cents, for whatever it may be worth. The truth is that there are very few flaws or whatever have you inside this box. It works, all the time, and give you great photos out the other end if you are able to do a half decent exposure. There is a light meter in this thing, which I never use. It's probably simple enough to use for a rocket scientist I should believe, but I find it way to cumbersome to deal with as I don't have the whole day to figure out the settings, and hence prefere to snap my shots using the "Regular Sh*te Weather 4" rule which I just invented. 


On the above snap, however, I probably used the "Marvelous Weather 8ish" rule, or something close to that. It was done in Scrabster, quite a while ago when Scotland experienced a few days of sun and things. Happy days I would think.




Three pics done with the box loaded with some old ORWO NP22 film. 

A couple of few weeks ago I suddenly discovered my Boxeiflex on top of my drawer thing full of films and stuff, and took it out for a while. It's crowded on top of those drawers, I tell you, so things seem to keep hiding away behind other things quite often. That's why this beautiful camera has not been in use for a while, I think. If you ask someone else you might get the impression that I got to many cameras, and that this could be a reason as well. I would not listen to much on such nonsense if I were you.
Anyway, as I also found hidden there a few rolls of ORWO NP22 B&W film from those old DDR, BRD or Eastern Germany days, if you like. I simply had to run through a couple of rolls just to have a look at how they perform nowadays. 
As the machine responsible for printing the date of when the company no longer wanted you to use the film, or when they stopped garantee the results from it, obviously had seen better days, I am quite uncertain about when it actually expired. I think, however, they might have stamped 03 93 on it. This is just a guess, and could just as well also be 83 or 03. As if I ever would care, besides curious about how well the film has matured. Not much, to be fair, so I think it will be good to keep the remaining rolls for a longer period inside that drawer. Or, if I should need them for some reason I will of course use them. Whenever.


A boat on the slipway in Kirkwall, Orkney a couple of years ago. Guessed exposure here as well, but could do well with another short minute or so probably. This was done on some different film than the above though.

Sea house, Ona in Sandøy, Norway. Could well turn out to be some film from the eastern parts of the world of some sort. Probably Shanghai GP3.

Anyway, it gives you some proper fine snappies this box with two lenses, where you only use one of them to take the photograph and the other one to look through. Or what do you think? 
After all, I just finally found evidence that it's the best camera in the world, or maybe the second best then. It's a handy old box for sure, and easy to operate as well despite being a medium format camera taking 120 film and all. Square pics 6x6 cm it gives you, but that's great for a change me think. After all the scans can be posted directly on Instagram without the need of any cropping, resizing and all those things you will have to do all the other time. And how great isn't that, if you want to post on Instagram that is. I have not done that in a while as I start to think about it. Bad internet out here at sea, you see. 
Another cool feature inside this camera is the in-built possibility of locking the aperture and shutter time in such a way that they are linked together if needed. Adjust one of the either, and the other will follow automatically. A nice detail, me thinks. An early version of shutter- and aperture priority "automatic". It's not automatic at all, to be fair, but it's still usefull to someone sometimes.


Looking up from the entrance of some hotel lobby years ago. One of the first snaps I ever snapped with the use of this black box.

Andrea over at Boxes and Bellows has just run some Portra film through an old camera producing squares as well. I don't know which camera these goodies came out of, but I guess there's no prices to be won if I think it's old. And maybe even a bit battered.
Check out that blog, as you are prone to find a decent number of fantastic photos over there. And I kid you not! There's words there as well, and they are well worth some time spent.
She don't do color either, of course, even though it looks like she does from time to time. I really like those two half darkish ones (appears to be darkish on one of my screens here at work, but not on the other one...) from her last post though. A lot, that is. Fantastic composition, great sceenery and all the lot.
There's also a great number of lith scans and stuff, on whatever paper you may think of and probably a decent few more.






Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime