onsdag 11. november 2015

Devold, an old factory around my neighborhoods

Strange these days, the fact that they actually get their grips together to take a well worn and almost derelict factory to rebuild it into something functional. Not that it's a new thought for anyone at my age, but I still get a bit baffled every time I realize that's what they actually did with a few places like this still standing proud.

A still unused part of the old factory. How good would it not be for a photographer to have a good darkroom and a small exhibition area and gallery inside here, somewhere? Great, I would say!

Back in the days, 70's and thereabout, a lot of young people thought it would be a great idea. Save the place and make it into a center for creativity in any form. You could build a million studios in a place like this, and still have open spaces left to breath.

Inside the old dining area of the factory. It's still a place where you can eat good food and relax. It says on the wall; Established between the battles 1853... which could mean that the factory workers made a canteen out of an open space on the premises. I have no idea if that's what happened though.

Well... they did something like that. Not the full bread thing, but still close enough to make me think they did the right thing. In the end, anyway. Because it could just as well have been pulled down to build more posh flats and houses these days.
There's a good enough amount of shops and fashionable cafés... stuff like that, as they call it an Outlet Center these days. They still managed to set aside areas for artists, stages for concerts and theatrical performances, exhibitions and what have we all. 
I hope it grows into something substantial and something that can live on for future generations. And I hope someone might be able to set aside unused areas inside the old factory to build creativity more than just selling stuff. 

The factory can trace it roots back to the 1700's, but was founded in 1853 as we know it today, and quickly grew to become a norwegian cornerstone in the industrial revolution back in the days. The factory had it's grand peak around 1950, as around 770 people had their daily work in these premises. Loads of people came from near and far to end up in this small village, just because of what these buildings had to offer.
I have wanted, some time now, to make a series of good snaps from the place. I had a good walk around there, a while ago... just to have a look. Need to gather some equipment and go back on a different day to get the most out of the place. At least that's what I think I have to do. 
In the meantime this is what you get... almost nothing... :)

These couple of snaps was made inside a quite modern, all black, german camera. On relatively fresh english film.

1 kommentar:

  1. OK Mr Roy I have some catching up to do on your wonderful blog. I like the grass growing out of the gutters - we have buildings like that here too :) We have 'outlets' too, but unfortunately all the shops but no artists and stuff, so I don't go there, unless I am forced to, if you know what I mean...

    SvarSlett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime